Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

7-7-7 Meme from Sidney Williams

Ok, I've been tagged.  Sidney Williams listed me in this meme over at his blog:

1.) Go to page 77 of your current MS.
2.) Go to line 7.
3.) Copy down the next 7 lines/sentences, and post them as they're written. No cheating.
4. Tag 7 other victims ...er, authors.

Well, since I don't have 77 pages in my current WIP (only around 30 or so) I went with page 7.


Her sarcasm was lost on Jeff. His eyes widened. “You had a trust fund?”

“God, you’re an idiot. It’s a good thing I like you or I’d been dumping this soup over your head right now. I still can’t promise I won’t.”

Jeff shook his head. “I’m sorry, Al, but I can’t believe that you, of all people, had never heard of Midnight Ink.”

She shot him another sour look, hating how she’d been made to feel more foolish than she already did. It wasn’t like she was plugged into the whole world of body art. Her tattoo and piercings were done by other delinquents like herself, in abandoned buildings and unsterile conditions, but Jeff didn’t need to know that.

“Well, obviously I didn’t, so just tell me what you know.”


That's mine.  I won't tag anybody, but if you'd like to share yours here, I'd love to see them.

7 comments:

  1. I really like what you posted. Great job! For mine, I have a lot of short, punchy lines here. Not my best, but it fits the scene. I hesitated to post it, but oh well... Here it is:

    “People make mistakes,” he said.

    “Don’t do this. I’ve filed for divorce. I don’t love Jim. I don’t trust him. I don’t even like him.” She reached for the door behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Edie! I recognize your writing style even from this short bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I do have a WIP that has a page 77...but I'm not much for rules. So I chose a different piece and went for 7 sentences on page 7.

    Objectively speaking, it was a brilliant flight. Certainly he would have been crowned jump king. He sailed out of the sand box and only just cleared the pavement, landing in a heap on the grass. He probably would have been fine if he hadn't kept flailing his arms and legs. It ruined the perfect parabola he should have cut. All that screaming through off his landing. I jumped out of my swing and went over to see how he was.

    Kind of tough to get context, but there it is, such as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Substitute the correctly spelled "threw" for "through". Sheesh.

      Delete
  4. Nice conflict comes through there. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great. I love seeing the differences in everyone's writing styles. I always get the urge to play around with my writing when I see elements I like--like Edie's gunfire dialogue. Then I remember my high school career spent trying to emulate Stephen King and understand those styles are best left to the people who already do them. : )

    ReplyDelete

Say what you will...